While setting up an aquarium or tank for the first time you might encounter a lot of problems, diseases, and infections to your fishes, living in the aquarium. These ailments might happens due to certain reasons such as problems in maintaining appropriate temperature, water conditions, filters, and many more issues as a newbie or inexperienced person. To keep your fishes healthy you must need to get deep assistance regarding the inhabitants you are keeping.
Some health problems might happen unexpectedly even after a lot of care. You should also get yourse lf prepared for such situations as for how to tackle the sick fishes (understanding of symptoms, sings, and changes) and how to treat them and consulting the appropriate doctor if needed. There are a lot of fishes common among fishes but the most common is dropsy. Before treating, you must need to know what is it, how it is caused, and how to recover your fish from it.
What is Dropsy?
it is a very common yet deadly disease or condition among aquarium fishes caused due to the increase in some fatal fluids inside fishes. The symptoms of this disease are quite easy to identify as it affects largely on the fish’s body.
Is it a disease or a symptom?
We often call it a disease but as a fact rather than identifying dropsy as an actual disease, it is actually recognized as a symptom. It is actually more of an internal bacterial infection which can cause severe swelling in the bodies of fishes.
How it is caused?
This is caused by the increase of some harmful fluids in the body cavity and tissues of fishes. The buildup or accumulation of access water becomes a fluid which then harms the fish’s body and mostly causes swelling of soft tissues immediately.
As it is considered a symptom instead of the disease, it can signify some of the diseases like liver dysfunction and the certain types of infections like parasitic and bacterial infections.
We can say that it actually enlighten these diseases instead of considering dropsy a disease. While in most cases, this is due to some kind of bacterial infection which is usually caused by the bacteria named Aeromonas.
What are the symptoms of Dropsy?
The symptoms are quite easy to recognize especially in advanced stages. The symptoms involve:
- Bloating: As the name ‘bloating’ describes which means ‘swelling’, the most prominent symptom of dropsy is swelling of in the abdominal regions or belly and in severe cases, it might involve swelling in the whole body of the fish.
- Pinecone Appearance: In this situation, the scales of fishes started to protrude or stand out from its body and it reaches almost to the situation which seems like their scales might pop off from their body. This protrusion is the actual reason resulting in pine cone-like appearances in fishes. Moreover, their eyes started bulging out, swell and gets sunken. Their gills also started becoming pale, their anus becomes red and swells out and also their feces started becoming tough or stringy.
- Behavioral Changes: Fishes affected by dropsy also show some bold behavioral changes. They started becoming lethargic and hence hovering or staying at once place mostly at the bottom of the aquarium or tank. They stop swimming in the tank and started staying near the surfaces. They often lose appetites.
Is there any Proper cure?
Most of the hobbyists think of dropsy as a deadly condition because it causes some serious organ failures which are not reversible. Regardless of the fact that it has very severe symptoms which may lead your fishes to a deadly state very quickly but that doesn’t mean to let them die without giving them a try to recover.
Can a fish recover easily?
There is always hope in every situation and you must need that hope and pure struggle to draw out your inhabitants from dropsy. So it is not curable every time and in most cases, fishes die of it but there is still hope that your treatment might help your fishes to get out of it. So give it a try! I hope it can work.
How can you treat your fish?
To treat dropsy you must need to find the reasons first that causes it. The moment you notice the symptoms, immediately start treating them to overcome the situation at early stages. I am going to provide you a complete guide about their treatment which is stepped as follows:
- Raising Temperature
- Salt Bath
- Antibacterial Food
- Parasitic Treatment
- Consult Professionals
- Move back to Original tank (If recovered)
For all above methods for treating fish dropsy read our sponsored post here:
How can it be prevented?
It can be prevented very easily just by maintaining some common factors.
- Regularly monitor necessary water changes.
- Make your tank clean every time.
- Use fresh food. If you are using processed flake food available in the market make sure to use them within one month of commencing the package.
- Regularly clean the filter of the tank.
- Prevent overfeeding of fishes.
- Never overcrowd your tank with fishes. It will stress out your inhabitants.
- Change the diet of fishes as a matter of course.
By keeping your tank conditions monitored and feeding best, fresh and good quality food can prevent your fishes from getting infected to dropsy and any other disease. And if you suspect any unusual behavior or changes in the tank immediately contact your vet to treat any possible condition at very early stages.
Frequently Asked Questions About Fish Dropsy