Are you planning to keep an aquatic turtle in your aquarium?
Then mind you. You will need an Aquarium Heater.
In this guide, you will learn brief and comprehensive information about turtle tank heaters. Furthermore, we will discuss the best turtle heaters that can efficiently maintain the temperature of the tank.
Let’s take a look.
- 8 Best Turtle Tank Heaters Picks in 2021:
- 1. Fluval E Electronic Heater
- 2. Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater
- 3. Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater With Electronic Thermostat
- 4. ViaAqua 200-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater with Built-In Thermostat
- 5. Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm Heater With Adjustable Thermostat
- 6. Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heater
- 7. Finnex Deluxe Titanium Tube Heater with Guard
- 8. Hydor In-Line External Heater – Original ETH
- Why Do Turtles Need Tank Heater?
- Types of Turtle Tank Water Heater:
- How to choose the Best Water Heater for Turtles?
- Wrapping Up:
8 Best Turtle Tank Heaters Picks in 2021:
- Amazon’s Choice
- Safety Shut off Feature
- With Fish Guard & LED Screen
- With both Celcius and Fahrenheit
- Constantly Regulate Temperature
- Made in Germany
- Calibrated Easily
- Completely Shatterproof
Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater
- Best for small tank setup
- Cheap Price
- Value for money
ViaAqua Quartz Glass Submersible Heater
- For freshwater and saltwater
- Affordable and durable
- Easy to install
- Highly Reliable and Durable
- Thermoplastic Heater
- Shatterproof Design
- Thermostat Setting on One-touch
Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heater
- Certified from UL
- With LED Indicators
- 110% Safe
- Solid turtle tank heater
Finnex Deluxe Titanium Tube Heater with Guard
- Best for large tank setups
- Strong and Durable
- With Protective Guard
Hydor In-Line External Heater
- For Marine & Tropical Aquariums
- durable and shatterproof
- Compatible with every canister
Current Rating: 3.6
- Specially designed with a fish guard
- Displays temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit
- With a safety shut off feature
- Heat Up 100 Gallons of Water
- Power: 100W,200W,300W
Fluval E Electronic heater is amongst the best aquatic tank heaters. It is quite suitable for turtles because of the fact that it has fish guards. The main aim of this guard is to protect the fishes and turtles if they come closer to the heater.
This one is again a submersible heater, as I told you earlier that submersible heaters are the most widely available heaters. Apart from this, it is protected against shocks from the bigger fishes.
Well, one of the distinguishing features that it has is, it has a user-friendly LCD interface, that shows the temperature in both units that is Celcius and Fahrenheit. Available in powers of 100 to 300 watts.
Like another submersible heater, it can be installed vertically and horizontally as well.
Moreover, it has a precise and accurate thermal sensor that accurately reads the true water temperature. I would say it is one of the most reliable and convenient turtle tank heaters on my list.
Current Rating: 3.6
- A unique feature of thermos safety control
- Can be easily calibrated
- Power: 25W,50W,75W,100W,125W,150W,200W,250W,300W
For your aquarium inhabitants, constantly regulated water temperature is very important. For this purpose, the Eheim Jager aquarium heater is one of the best choices. It is an ultra-modern electronic heater that is fully submersible and maintains a constant warm temperature in your tank.
This amazing rod-like heater is made up of laboratory-grade glass, which is completely shatterproof.
You are free to adjust its temperature range from 65 to 93F. Thanks to its TruTemp dial control with readjustment ring. Available in 25 to 300 watts.
One of the astounding features that I really like about it is, it has a thermos safety control feature. This feature is just like a protective feature for the heater. It won’t let the heater burn in dry condition. For instance, if you are cleaning the tank and removing water, then you don’t need to switch the heater off, it will automatically shut off protecting it against dry conditions. The heater will start working once the water gets back to its normal.
3. Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater With Electronic Thermostat
Current Rating: 3.8
- Offer powers of 50 watts till 200 watt
- Can be placed vertically or horizontally
- Heat Up to 2 to 10 Gallons of Water
- Power: 50W,100W
Tetra has been manufacturing aquarium equipment for years. They are the leaders in producing high-quality aquarium equipment. There is no harm in saying that their products are of high-end quality. The same goes for their aquarium heater.
Tetra HT submersible aquarium heater is one of the highly-rated turtle tank heaters. It is a submersible heater that has an electronic thermostat that is able to maintain the temperature of the tank to 78F, which is ideal for most tropical fishes.
In addition to this, it has LED indicative lights of red and green color. The red LED light indicates that the heater is running and when the heater stops working the red lights turn green.
The best thing about this heater is, it can efficiently warm up the 2 gallons of water. This means you can use it for your small tank setup fearlessly.
So if you are planning to keep a single turtle in your small setup then the Tetra HT submersible heater can be the best option for you.
4. ViaAqua 200-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater with Built-In Thermostat
Current Rating: 4.1 (Highly Rated)
- With auto shut off feature
- Heat Up to 13 to 80 Gallons of Water
- Power: 50W,100W,200W,300W
The last one on my list of best heater for a turtle tank is the ViaAqua heater, which is also a submersible heater.
It is made up of high-quality quartz glass that is totally broken resistant
There is nothing so much special in it, except the fact that it is durable and inexpensive. You can get your desired work done effectively in a small number of bucks.
Like other heaters, it has a thermostat that maintains and regulates the temperature of the tank. Moreover, it has a visible temperature setting that helps the user to easily adjust and set the required temperature.
It has a ceramic heating element that evenly distributes heat throughout the tank. This means you will get a uniform temperature all over your tank. It’s a wonderful choice for those aquarists who are on a budget.
5. Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm Heater With Adjustable Thermostat
Current Rating: 3.8
- One-touch system to set the thermostat
- Auto shut off
- LED Indicators
- One-third of an inch thick
- Heat Up 55 Gallons of Water
- Power: 25W,50W,75W,100W,150W,200W
If you are looking for a fully submersible compact aquarium heater then grab your hands on the Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-therm heater. It has a compact and super flat design. Moreover, it is fully submersible in the water.
One best thing about it is it is made up of such material that extremely shatters proof.
Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo heater has a one-touch system to set the thermostat. You can set it anywhere between 66-96F and it shuts off automatically when the tank water reaches its desired temperature.
This heater comes with two LED lights, one that blinks when the heater is working whereas other light blinks when the heater has warmed up the tank up to the desired temperature. One worth mentioning point is, it comes with 3 years of warranty. So you have a long time of 3 years to claim its warranty if anything goes wrong with it.
Current Rating: 3.9
- Made up with shatterproof material
- With green and red LED lights
- One of the solid heater for turtle tank
- With auto-turn off feature
- Heat Up 55 Gallons of Water
- Power: 50W,100W,150W,200W,300W
Aqueon is a renowned name when it comes to aquarium tank equipment. These products are of a high-end quality which is loved and recommended by all aquarists. Talking about its heater, I have picked up their submersible heater which is perfect to be fitted in a turtle tank.
The heater is built with a completely non-corrosive and nonreactive material. Also, the material is 100% shatterproof. It is made up of quartz glass that is designed to absorb shocks.
Aqueon aquarium tanks can be fearlessly used in salt or fresh water tank. It has the ability to maintain the temperature easily between 68F and 88F.
For the easiness of its user, a manufacturer has added green and red LED light, which tells either heater, is working or not. it turns red when the heater is turning otherwise it’s green.
If you are looking at something that is certified from Underwriter Laboratories then let me tell you, this one is the right pick for you. Yes, it is certified from UL, which means it is 110% safe and sound to use.
7. Finnex Deluxe Titanium Tube Heater with Guard
Current Rating: 3.9
- Strong and durable titanium rod
- With protective guard
- Offers maximum power of 800 watt
- Heat Up to 140 to 265 Gallons of Water
- Power: 300W,500W,800W
Looking for some powerful heater that can easily warm up a large turtle tank setup? Then Finnex Deluxe Titanium tube heater can quench your thirst.
Yes, its starting power is 300 watts. You can even find it in 800watt. So I would highly recommend this heater for the tank setup. Furthermore, it is rod-like and made up of titanium rod which is corrosion resistant and helps in maintaining a constant temperature throughout the tank.
You will be amazed to know that this rod-like heater has a protective external sheet, which keeps the turtles and other fishes safe from touching the hot titanium rod.
It does not have its own built-in thermostat, so you need to attach an external thermostat device. These devices are far more accurate than the built-in thermostats.
Finnex Deluxe heater is able to regulate temperature ranging from 70 to 92F. Indeed it is one of the worth buying heaters.
8. Hydor In-Line External Heater – Original ETH
Current Rating: 3.3
- Can be easily hidden
- Made up of durable and shatterproof material
- Efficiently warms up the bulk of the water
- Compatible with every canister
- Best For external use
- Power: 200W,300W
This is the first heater that uses a Positive Thermal Coefficient (PTC) technology. This technology protects the heater from overheating and blowing.
As far as other features are concerned, this external heater is suitable for both tropical and marine tanks. Since it is an external heater so you have to place it outside the tank. You can even fix it inside the canister filter. It will warm up the water on its way back to the tank. It is specially designed to be used with canisters.
The best part about Hydron inline external heater is, it does not spoil the view of your beautiful and decorative turtle tank. It’s indeed a great choice for a small aquarium where space is an issue. You can only install it vertically.
Why Do Turtles Need Tank Heater?
Turtles are cold-blooded & ectothermic animals which means that they lack the ability to control their body temperature and thus they become sluggish in cold water.
Therefore it’s necessary to maintain the right temperature of the tank if you are petting an aquatic turtle.
Right means, neither too cold that the turtle becomes lazy nor too hot that the turtle does not come out of the water to relax. Both conditions can become dangerous for him. This is the reason the aquarium heater is a very essential instrument for turtles.
Types of Turtle Tank Water Heater:
As far as the types of turtle heaters are concerned, usually, they are of three types.
- Submersible Water Heaters
- Aquarium Substrate Heater
- In-filter water heater
All of these have the same basic function that is to make the water slightly warm. You can read about Tank Heater types here
How to choose the Best Water Heater for Turtles?
While choosing a heater, there are certain factors you must need to care about.
- First of all, make sure the turtle tank heater should be made up of Good Material like metal or any thermal resistance. These materials are not prone to break like glass. Also, turtles are bigger than fishes they might damage the sensitive glass heater. Always look for a high-quality, durable, and reliable heater.
- Secondly, Don’t buy cheap heaters; they are quite risky and dangerous. Just spend one time on an aquarium heater and Enjoy it for a lifetime.
- The most important thing which you must consider is its Power(Watt). As a general rule of thumb, a 20-gallon water tank will require a heater of 75 watts to warm the water in an efficient manner.
- The last crucial thing is how warm should a turtle tank be. If the environment outside the turtle tank is too cold, then you might need some powerful heater to warm up the water & Vise Versa.
Well, there is no harm in saying that underwater heaters are the best way to keep the environment of your tank warm. Keeping a warm tank environment is extremely important for your turtle tank. Otherwise, it will fall ill. The market is loaded with tons of aquarium heaters of every kind. We have tried our level best to provide you with the Best and Highly Rated Aquarium Heaters that you can easily install in your turtle tank and give your turtle a warm and soothing environment. But make sure to properly choose the heater power according to your turtle tank size.